Amplitude Modulated sinusoidal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to amplitude modulate a sine wave. I have a simple 2D two-turn coil using the magnetic field node with a current excitation. Using the frequency domain I was able to extract good results but now I want to amplitude modulate wave.

Can anyone help me introduce amplitude modulation to my 2D coil, frequency domain, magnet field node (current excitation), simulation?

thank you

6 Replies Last Post 16 apr 2024, 15:18 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 11:00 GMT-4

Model it in time domain.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Model it in time domain.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 15:32 GMT-4
Updated: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 15:44 GMT-4

Thank you, I moduled it in the time domain however it doesn't seem to converge. Is there something I'm missing or not understanding? Here is my excitation voltage

Vo=Ac * sin(2 * pi * fc * t) + Ac * m * 0.5 * cos(2 * pi * f_LSB * t) + Ac * m * 0.5 * cos(2 * pi * f_USB * t)

my time steps are range(0,0.1,1)

But does seem to converge. My model works in the frequency domain just fine.

Thank you, I moduled it in the time domain however it doesn't seem to converge. Is there something I'm missing or not understanding? Here is my excitation voltage Vo=Ac * sin(2 * pi * fc * t) + Ac * m * 0.5 * cos(2 * pi * f_LSB * t) + Ac * m * 0.5 * cos(2 * pi * f_USB * t) my time steps are range(0,0.1,1) But does seem to converge. My model works in the frequency domain just fine.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 17:06 GMT-4
Updated: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 17:06 GMT-4

My suggestion to you would be to start with the circuit interface alone and build up a very simple transient simulation using a time dependent source with one freq and a load resistor. Get this to work. Then add more of your text commands to the source, watch the display, and verify it looks correct. You will eventually need to link up the 2D simulation with the circuit "front end" driving it. There are a couple sample files to check out on the comsol website.

My suggestion to you would be to start with the circuit interface alone and build up a very simple transient simulation using a time dependent source with one freq and a load resistor. Get this to work. Then add more of your text commands to the source, watch the display, and verify it looks correct. You will eventually need to link up the 2D simulation with the circuit "front end" driving it. There are a couple sample files to check out on the comsol website.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 17:20 GMT-4
Updated: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 17:20 GMT-4

Thank you for the responses do you think if i switch from mf physics to mef physics and run the time-dependent study I'd have better luck? I'm not very familiar with the circuit interface but that seems like a good idea. Thank you

Thank you for the responses do you think if i switch from mf physics to mef physics and run the time-dependent study I'd have better luck? I'm not very familiar with the circuit interface but that seems like a good idea. Thank you

Posted: 2 weeks ago 15 apr 2024, 18:39 GMT-4

I am not certain if you will get differences between those two ac/dc physics as i have not used mef all that much. I was only suggesting using the cir interface as this is simpler if you have not done a transient before in comsol. It would be a way to verify your syntax before trying it in another physics. You would then take that syntax and use it in the intended physics. It is easier to break the problem up and get small parts to work on their own so when you combine them you have a better idea of what results you should get.

I am not certain if you will get differences between those two ac/dc physics as i have not used mef all that much. I was only suggesting using the cir interface as this is simpler if you have not done a transient before in comsol. It would be a way to verify your syntax before trying it in another physics. You would then take that syntax and use it in the intended physics. It is easier to break the problem up and get small parts to work on their own so when you combine them you have a better idea of what results you should get.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago 16 apr 2024, 15:18 GMT-4

You can easily define a function with this expression and check if the resulting waveform looks as expected. The main issue regarding convergence seems to be the time stepping. For a quasi-periodic waveform like this you need manual time stepping. I suggest to try the Generalized Alpha time stepper. Set a manual time step that resolves the waveform with 4 - 6 steps per period and and choose a time range that is long enough to represent the complete waveform. Make sure the waveform starts at zero for t = 0, otherwise ramp it up in suitable manner.

I am wondering what you expect to find out by modulating the waveform. It may be sufficient to do a frequency scan covering the modulation bandwidth.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You can easily define a function with this expression and check if the resulting waveform looks as expected. The main issue regarding convergence seems to be the time stepping. For a quasi-periodic waveform like this you need manual time stepping. I suggest to try the Generalized Alpha time stepper. Set a manual time step that resolves the waveform with 4 - 6 steps per period and and choose a time range that is long enough to represent the complete waveform. Make sure the waveform starts at zero for t = 0, otherwise ramp it up in suitable manner. I am wondering what you expect to find out by modulating the waveform. It may be sufficient to do a frequency scan covering the modulation bandwidth. Cheers Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.