Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with Modeling a multi-stage agitated vessel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I am having problem getting my model to run and converge. I am trying to model a six-stage agitated vessel in 2D. I have followed the steps described in the posted modeling of baffled mixer vessel using rotating machinery physics in comsol documentation to create my geometry and in building my model. The model in comsol documentaion is in 3D but I am trying to do it in 2D first before going to 3D. The fluid being water enters the rotating domain at the bottom and exits at the top. The botom boundary in the rotating domain is set to inlet while the top boundary in the rotating domain is set to outlet. All the the exterior boundaries are set to non-rotating wall. The impeller speed is gradaully stepped up from 0 to 10 rev. per seconds using step function within 2 seconds from t = 0. The input velocity and pressure could be changed as well as the impeller speed. I am saying this as I do not know if any of these inputs could play a role in the model not running but I doubt it being the cause. Could someone who have experience with this kind of modeling help me figure out what the problem is? I have attached my file to help you fully understand what I have done so far. Thank you for helping.

Enefiok

2 Replies Last Post 12 dic 2012, 22:25 GMT-5
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 dic 2012, 13:47 GMT-5
Enefiok,

For the Rotating Machinery interface in 2D, the axis of rotation must be in the out-of-plane direction. You will need to use a 3D model to capture the behavior of the six-stage vessel.

Luke
Enefiok, For the Rotating Machinery interface in 2D, the axis of rotation must be in the out-of-plane direction. You will need to use a 3D model to capture the behavior of the six-stage vessel. Luke

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 dic 2012, 22:25 GMT-5

Enefiok,

For the Rotating Machinery interface in 2D, the axis of rotation must be in the out-of-plane direction. You will need to use a 3D model to capture the behavior of the six-stage vessel.

Luke

Hi Luke,
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will probably have to try and develop a simple 3D geometry to try it out. This is going to be challenging as I am not very good in developing geometry using comsol and I do not know or have CAD. Thanks.

Enefiok
[QUOTE] Enefiok, For the Rotating Machinery interface in 2D, the axis of rotation must be in the out-of-plane direction. You will need to use a 3D model to capture the behavior of the six-stage vessel. Luke [/QUOTE] Hi Luke, Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will probably have to try and develop a simple 3D geometry to try it out. This is going to be challenging as I am not very good in developing geometry using comsol and I do not know or have CAD. Thanks. Enefiok

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.