How to compute Poynting vector in comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am a user of COMSOL. I am conducting simulation and modeling related to optical fibers and I want to calculate the loss of the effective material. After consulting relevant literature, I found that it is necessary to calculate the Poynting vector in the z-direction. How can I set the relevant variables for calculation in COMSOL? Specifically, it involves the cross product of the electric field and the conjugation of magnetic field, and I am not sure how to input the formula. I hope someone can help me solve this problem. The relevant formulas are provided in the attachment. Thank you so much for your assistance. I am truly grateful for your help.

1 Reply Last Post 6 feb 2024, 11:36 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 months ago 6 feb 2024, 11:36 GMT-5
Updated: 3 months ago 6 feb 2024, 11:34 GMT-5

In the RF module, the three components of the Poynting vector are directly available in post processing, as (emw.Poavx, emw.Poavy, emw.Poavz).

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
In the RF module, the three components of the Poynting vector are directly available in post processing, as (emw.Poavx, emw.Poavy, emw.Poavz).

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.