Strange automatic decohesion occurs though no decohesion law is specified

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there, I am trying to understand how the cohesive model works in Comsol.

A simple model including square A and B in contact with each other is built. B is assigned as rigid material and pulled along the vector (u,v)=(0.4,0.4), while the top boundary of A, which is in contact with B, is fixed, so that both shear and tension occurs between the contact pair.

For the contact, the adhesive activation criterion is set to 'Always active'. The adhesive stiffness is set to be 0 for kt1 and Et/ts for kn. There is NO decohesion sub-node.

The results are strange. Shear stress remains 0 (blue line), which is consistent with the 0 shear stiffness. But the normal tension stress (green line) doesn't follow the theoretical value (red line), and finally reduces to 0.

It seems that decohesion does happen, though no decohesion law is specified.

The adhesive stress distribution on the contact boundary is give at v=0.001,0.014,0.070,0.167,0.181, as follows

As shown above, the contact pair is not totally adhesive. There is a decohesion site at x=0 initially. As the load increases, the zone of decohesion expands. And then, much more new decohesion sites emerge and expand progressively. Finlly, the totally decohesion happens.

But the adhesion activation criterion is set to 'Always active' and no decohesion law has been specified yet.

This is disturbing. Is there something that I did not do it right?

Best, HCL

All the pictures are attached below, in case that they are not properly shown above.

5 Replies Last Post 20 gen 2024, 03:01 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 months ago 16 gen 2024, 06:05 GMT-5

Without a model, it is only possible to guess. But my first guess is that you need to increase the search distance in the contact pair. Even though there is adhesion, that contribution is only computed between points that are inside the search distance from each other.

Note that if you slide the block in the horizontal direction, you will still loose some adhesion stiffness, since there is only a contribution from the parts actually in contact with each other.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Without a model, it is only possible to guess. But my first guess is that you need to increase the search distance in the contact pair. Even though there is adhesion, that contribution is only computed between points that are inside the search distance from each other. Note that if you slide the block in the horizontal direction, you will still loose some adhesion stiffness, since there is only a contribution from the parts actually in contact with each other.

Posted: 3 months ago 16 gen 2024, 08:23 GMT-5

Thank you, Henrik!

I increased both the width of B and the search distance, so that A is always fully in contact with B and that the distance between the contact pair is less than the search distance. It works.

Thank you, Henrik! I increased both the width of B and the search distance, so that A is always fully in contact with B and that the distance between the contact pair is less than the search distance. It works.

Posted: 3 months ago 16 gen 2024, 08:29 GMT-5

Without a model, it is only possible to guess. But my first guess is that you need to increase the search distance in the contact pair. Even though there is adhesion, that contribution is only computed between points that are inside the search distance from each other.

Note that if you slide the block in the horizontal direction, you will still loose some adhesion stiffness, since there is only a contribution from the parts actually in contact with each other.

Do I always have to set the search distance manully? Is there some guide about when the automatic setting fails? It concerns me that the computation may be slowed down if I manully set a too large search distance with many contact pairs.

>Without a model, it is only possible to guess. But my first guess is that you need to increase the search distance in the contact pair. Even though there is adhesion, that contribution is only computed between points that are inside the search distance from each other. > >Note that if you slide the block in the horizontal direction, you will still loose some adhesion stiffness, since there is only a contribution from the parts actually in contact with each other. Do I always have to set the search distance manully? Is there some guide about when the automatic setting fails? It concerns me that the computation may be slowed down if I manully set a too large search distance with many contact pairs.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 months ago 17 gen 2024, 03:29 GMT-5

The default search distance is 1% of the size of the geometry (to be more specific: 1% of the diagonal of the bounding box). For most contact problems that will work. In your case, you need interaction even when the objects are a bit away from each other.

It is actually more common that the search distance needs to be decreased, because there may be an ambiguity when deciding which boundaries that will interact.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The default search distance is 1% of the size of the geometry (to be more specific: 1% of the diagonal of the bounding box). For most contact problems that will work. In your case, you need interaction even when the objects are a bit away from each other. It is actually more common that the search distance needs to be decreased, because there may be an ambiguity when deciding which boundaries that will interact.

Posted: 3 months ago 20 gen 2024, 03:01 GMT-5

Thank you, Henrik, for your clarification!

Thank you, Henrik, for your clarification!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.