In built Damping in COMSOL structural time dependent study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to study a beam's transient response to initially being deformed and then released to vibrate. Considering no damping in the system it should go on vibrating with same amplitude forever. but it is not showing results like that. What is this damping and how do I remove this.

PS: Further I need to model damping in a very sensitive system. I can't ignore this damping. What I have done: Geometry: 2 * 2 micron square beam 1 mm long fixed at on end. BC: 1 mibron initial displacement Physics used: BEAMS stationary study with prescribed displacement --> Results of this study fed to initial step of time dependant study --> Plot response for 2 secs

1 Reply Last Post 16 gen 2024, 05:38 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 months ago 16 gen 2024, 05:38 GMT-5

It is probably the inherent numerical damping in the time stepping algorithm that you see.

In particular, you may need to adjust the parameter Amplification for high frequency. However, the size of time steps and tolerances will also affect the apparent damping.

See the documentation for the time dependent solver:

https://doc.comsol.com/6.2/docserver/#!/com.comsol.help.comsol/comsol_ref_solver.34.131.html

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
It is probably the inherent numerical damping in the time stepping algorithm that you see. In particular, you may need to adjust the parameter *Amplification for high frequency*. However, the size of time steps and tolerances will also affect the apparent damping. See the documentation for the time dependent solver:

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.