Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Equivalent Young's Modulus

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to run an example simulation (Hyperelastic Materials) on the Video Gallery, especially 'user defined' function. I noticed that I need to add the equivalent Young's modulus to run a model. I noticed that there is a equation in the example but I cannot see the full equation from this video.

Anybody knows about this equation? "Eeq" in the figure (Red box)

Thanks in advance. B.T.

3 Replies Last Post 11 ott 2023, 07:13 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 months ago 9 ott 2023, 02:25 GMT-4
Updated: 7 months ago 10 ott 2023, 03:46 GMT-4

The equivalent Young's modulus, Eeq, is a non-essential quantity. For the hyperelastic material itself, it is not used. In some other features, for example in Contact, it is used as characteristic stiffness when defining a default penalty factor. If you have a situation where it is misssing, you can just replace it with any number that gives a correct order of magnitude of the stiffness of the material.

In the built-in hyperelastic materials, it is defined as the Young's modulus at infinitesimal strain.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The equivalent Young's modulus, Eeq, is a non-essential quantity. For the hyperelastic material itself, it is not used. In some other features, for example in *Contact*, it is used as characteristic stiffness when defining a default penalty factor. If you have a situation where it is misssing, you can just replace it with any number that gives a correct order of magnitude of the stiffness of the material. In the built-in hyperelastic materials, it is defined as the Young's modulus at infinitesimal strain.

Posted: 7 months ago 9 ott 2023, 10:10 GMT-4
Updated: 7 months ago 10 ott 2023, 03:49 GMT-4

Dear Henrik,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to get that equation? I am curious how to define the equivalent Young's modulus in especially that equation.

I found one in Storakers, Eeq = 9*((2/3+2*beta1)*mu1+(2/3+2*beta2)*mu2)*(mu1+mu2)/(3*((2/3+2*beta1)*mu1+(2/3+2*beta2)*mu2)+mu1+mu2), but the value is slightly off.

Thanks. B.T.

Dear Henrik, Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to get that equation? I am curious how to define the equivalent Young's modulus in especially that equation. I found one in Storakers, Eeq = 9\*((2/3+2\*beta1)\*mu1+(2/3+2\*beta2)\*mu2)\*(mu1+mu2)/(3\*((2/3+2\*beta1)\*mu1+(2/3+2\*beta2)\*mu2)+mu1+mu2), but the value is slightly off. Thanks. B.T.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 months ago 11 ott 2023, 07:13 GMT-4

Sorry, I am not certain that I understand the question. Are you asking about the derivation of the expression above for the Storakers material?

Basically, you compute the shear modulus (G) and bulk modulus (K) analytically from the strain energy density equation, linearized at zero strain. Then, E_equ=9K*G/(3K+G) using expressions from linear elasticity.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Sorry, I am not certain that I understand the question. Are you asking about the derivation of the expression above for the Storakers material? Basically, you compute the shear modulus (G) and bulk modulus (K) analytically from the strain energy density equation, linearized at zero strain. Then, E_equ=9K\*G/(3K+G) using expressions from linear elasticity.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.