Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stop Joule heating and start cooling.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to simulate Joule heating model in Comsol multiphysycs heat transfer module. I want to use joule heating till the 19 sec. After 19 I want to stop JH and continue convective cooling till 240 sec. For the moment I just did joule heating to 19 sec. Tried to use 2 step solver but it doesn't obtain. If anyone can help me I will appreciate it. Thank you !

2 Replies Last Post 12 nov 2012, 14:14 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 nov 2012, 19:00 GMT-5
Multiple steps should work but is not necessary. You can change the heat source to be its original setting times (t<19.0). That expression evaluates to zero at times greater than 19.
Multiple steps should work but is not necessary. You can change the heat source to be its original setting times (t

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 nov 2012, 14:14 GMT-5
Hi

one thing to add: if you run a standard, single, time series then be sure you have two ranges of time steps, so that you restart with small steps from t>19 and increase them the thereafter.
As well as using an "intermediate" or "strict" time "stepping" as you might see the solver will take larger steps after somw 10-15 sec and then miss somewhat the transient of you stopping the Joule heating at t=19

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi one thing to add: if you run a standard, single, time series then be sure you have two ranges of time steps, so that you restart with small steps from t>19 and increase them the thereafter. As well as using an "intermediate" or "strict" time "stepping" as you might see the solver will take larger steps after somw 10-15 sec and then miss somewhat the transient of you stopping the Joule heating at t=19 -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.