Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

applying same boundary condition to multiple selections

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying the following thing:

Lets say there is a boundary condition, named "Ground1". I want to add 30 selections, defined arbitrarily, to "Ground1" BC. I am not able do this. To do so, I have to create 30 BCs first, viz "Ground1", "Ground2", "Ground3", ............., "Ground30"; but, this is cumbersome.

Does anyone knows how to do this? Or, is there a way to group multiple selections? I am using 4.2.0.150 COMSOL version.

Thanks,
Kapil

2 Replies Last Post 9 nov 2012, 18:42 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov 2012, 17:09 GMT-5
Hello Kapil,
I don't remember if that capability existed in version 4.2 but in the current version , 4.3a, you can define a selection as the union of existing selections. This makes it straightforward to apply a BC to 30 seections at once: just define a selection that's the union of the 30 selections and apply your BC to that selection.
Hello Kapil, I don't remember if that capability existed in version 4.2 but in the current version , 4.3a, you can define a selection as the union of existing selections. This makes it straightforward to apply a BC to 30 seections at once: just define a selection that's the union of the 30 selections and apply your BC to that selection.

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov 2012, 18:42 GMT-5
Hi Hiller,

I also thought of creating a union, as you said, but I could not.

It seems to me that 4.2 version doesn't have this feature of grouping multiple selections through union.

I am thinking of coming up with a work around here. Please let me know if you get any idea to do this in 4.2

Thanks for the reply!

Best,
Kapil
Hi Hiller, I also thought of creating a union, as you said, but I could not. It seems to me that 4.2 version doesn't have this feature of grouping multiple selections through union. I am thinking of coming up with a work around here. Please let me know if you get any idea to do this in 4.2 Thanks for the reply! Best, Kapil

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.