Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RF or Wave optics frequency domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone, I want to simulate nano-antenna with legnth as 200 nm at visible light range. Should I choosee RF module or wave optics frequency domain. Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Last Post 25 lug 2023, 03:10 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 months ago 24 lug 2023, 15:07 GMT-4

Li-Heng,

Both application modules can in principle do that. They have many features in common but offer some different boundary conditions and material models. In wave optics you can realize very large models with 100s or 1000s of wavelengths. It depends on the details of your project which module fits better.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Li-Heng, Both application modules can in principle do that. They have many features in common but offer some different boundary conditions and material models. In wave optics you can realize very large models with 100s or 1000s of wavelengths. It depends on the details of your project which module fits better. Cheers Edgar

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 months ago 24 lug 2023, 15:12 GMT-4
Updated: 9 months ago 24 lug 2023, 15:14 GMT-4

Since your antenna size is only about half a wavelength in size, the RF module will certainly be applicable. I don't have the wave optics module, but I suspect that it can handle this physics regime also. However, the RF module would be my first choice. (Note: That's just my humble opinion; others may differ!)

Added: Looks like Edgar posted a response first. And OK, I agree with him.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Since your antenna size is only about half a wavelength in size, the RF module will certainly be applicable. I don't have the wave optics module, but I *suspect* that it can handle this physics regime also. However, the RF module would be *my* first choice. (Note: That's just my humble opinion; others may differ!) Added: Looks like Edgar posted a response first. And OK, I agree with him.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 months ago 24 lug 2023, 15:45 GMT-4

This blog compares and contrasts the various electromagnetics-related modules, and this Specification Chart goes into the very nitty-gritty details of what's in each of those products.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
[This blog](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/computational-electromagnetics-modeling-which-module-to-use/) compares and contrasts the various electromagnetics-related modules, and this [Specification Chart](https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/) goes into the very nitty-gritty details of what's in each of those products. Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 months ago 25 lug 2023, 03:10 GMT-4

Thanks for all of your replies~

Thanks for all of your replies~

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.