Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Relation Eigenvalue/Eigenfrequency problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently investigating two-dimensional dielectric cavities and their electromagnetic TM/TE eigenmodes. For these studies I use the "Electromagnetic Waves" module while only considering the out-of-plane vector (corresponding to TM modes) and a perfectly matched layer in order to restrict myself to outgoing boundary conditions (Sommerfeld radiation condition). I have a few questions regarding such simulations in COMSOL:

1) How are the eigenvalue and the eigenfrequency studies related to each other?
Typically, in two dimensions the three dimensional EM equations without any sources boil down to

(∇² + ε_r(x,y) k²) E(x,y) = 0

such that one would assume that the eigenvalue λ should be related to the eigenfrequency k simply by λ = k². However, when I simply switch from an eigenvalue study to an eigenfrequency study. I get completely different solutions. The solutions from the eigenfrequency study are not found in the eigenvalue study and vice versa.

2) Comparing the eigenfrequencies from the calculations for a simple circular dielectric cavity to the actual analytic results (which can easily be obtained for such a system), the calculated eigenfrequencies don't match, although convergence regarding the mesh discretization has been reached. Although the real parts of the eigenfrequencies roughly match, the imaginary parts are off by 5 orders of magnitude.

I would be happy for any suggestions!

Best regards,
Tommy

1 Reply Last Post 11 lug 2013, 18:00 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tommy Cevi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 lug 2013, 18:00 GMT-4
Tommy-

An answer to your question 1) if you still need it:

The eigenfrequency (predefined variable, freq) is the eigenvalue (predefined variable, lambda) times i divided by 2*pi.

freq=lambda*i/(2*pi)

The eigenfrequency and eigenvalue study types are functionally identical from what I can tell. Both of them use the eigenvalue solver. The solution data sets store the solutions a little differently (ie based on freq and lambda respectively), but that is the only difference that I've been able to notice. Maybe there are some other subtleties that I haven't noticed.

Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies

Tommy- An answer to your question 1) if you still need it: The eigenfrequency (predefined variable, freq) is the eigenvalue (predefined variable, lambda) times i divided by 2*pi. freq=lambda*i/(2*pi) The eigenfrequency and eigenvalue study types are functionally identical from what I can tell. Both of them use the eigenvalue solver. The solution data sets store the solutions a little differently (ie based on freq and lambda respectively), but that is the only difference that I've been able to notice. Maybe there are some other subtleties that I haven't noticed. Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.