Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass and Stiffness Matrix Assembly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I have been exporting mass and stiffness matrices out of Comsol with the LiveLink to Matlab package.

I can not not seem to find how the matrices are actually assembled, in terms of the degrees of freedom and orientation of the matrices.

When I use matlab's eig function to find the eigen vaues and eigenvectors of the system they are arranged in matlab in a non-intuitive format. They are numerically identical to comsol. If I compare the modes shapes from matlab to the displacement output of an eigenfrequency study in comsol this is what I find.

In matlab it is arranged like this, where rz sifnifies rotation around x axis, dx is displacement in x direction
w1 w2...
node1 rx
node1 ry
node1 rz
node1 dx
node1 dy
node1 dz
node2 rx

and so on,

Any Help would be greatly appreciated,

Joshua

0 Replies Last Post 29 set 2012, 17:12 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello J. Mendoza

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.