Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic force imposing on magnetic fluid in 3D magnetostatic field (no currents)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

Everyone

I try to do with a simulation of magnetic fluid imposed on magnetic force in magnetostatic field (no

currents), but the results show that there seems to be no magnetic force on magnetic fluid.

Equations of magnetic force are expressed as:

Fx= mu0_emqa*(Mx_emqa*d(Hx_emqa,x)+My_emqa*d(Hx_emqa,y)+Mz_emqa*d(Hx_emqa,z))

Fy= mu0_emqa*(Mx_emqa*d(Hy_emqa,x)+My_emqa*d(Hy_emqa,y)+Mz_emqa*d(Hy_emqa,z))

Fz= mu0_emqa*(Mx_emqa*d(Hz_emqa,x)+My_emqa*d(Hz_emqa,y)+Mz_emqa*d(Hz_emqa,z))

I am sorry that I could find out what went wrong, and your help is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Best wishes

Hongliang Zhou

6 Replies Last Post 9 nov 2012, 08:01 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 set 2012, 13:24 GMT-4
What magnetic force equations you are following?

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 set 2012, 21:09 GMT-4

The equation is:

F=mu0*M*(detaH)

Do you have any suggestions?

I am looking forward to your replies.

Best regards
[QUOTE] What magnetic force equations you are following? [/QUOTE] The equation is: F=mu0*M*(detaH) Do you have any suggestions? I am looking forward to your replies. Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 nov 2012, 06:51 GMT-5
did you find the answer? i'm finding exact same one as yours

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 nov 2012, 20:48 GMT-5

Thanks for your attention!

I am sorry that I still could not find the answer, and I am wondering if the magnetic force is related to the distribution

of magnetic field intensity and magnetization, foe the reason that the magnetic force is defined from the relation

F=mu0*M*(detaH).

What is more, would you mind giving me some suggestions about the yield stress simulated with COMSOL?

I am looking forward to your replies.

Best regards

[QUOTE] did you find the answer? i'm finding exact same one as yours [/QUOTE] Thanks for your attention! I am sorry that I still could not find the answer, and I am wondering if the magnetic force is related to the distribution of magnetic field intensity and magnetization, foe the reason that the magnetic force is defined from the relation F=mu0*M*(detaH). What is more, would you mind giving me some suggestions about the yield stress simulated with COMSOL? I am looking forward to your replies. Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov 2012, 06:41 GMT-5
Hi,
I don't know if this helps, but one thing you should check is the spatial derivatives of the magnetic field H. Is every single one of them zero by itself? This is for example the case, if you are solving in some sort of magnetostatic mode, the governing equations are formulated for a scalar potential phi and the field follows from H = - grad phi. Therefore, all the components in the force expressions are indeed second order derivatives.

An easy work around is to add additional (auxiliary) variables (Hx, Hy, Hz) which are defined as, e.g. Hx = - diff(phi,x). This way, you should be able to evaluate all expressions diff(Hx,x) and so on.

Alex
Hi, I don't know if this helps, but one thing you should check is the spatial derivatives of the magnetic field H. Is every single one of them zero by itself? This is for example the case, if you are solving in some sort of magnetostatic mode, the governing equations are formulated for a scalar potential phi and the field follows from H = - grad phi. Therefore, all the components in the force expressions are indeed second order derivatives. An easy work around is to add additional (auxiliary) variables (Hx, Hy, Hz) which are defined as, e.g. Hx = - diff(phi,x). This way, you should be able to evaluate all expressions diff(Hx,x) and so on. Alex

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov 2012, 08:01 GMT-5

Hi,
I don't know if this helps, but one thing you should check is the spatial derivatives of the magnetic field H. Is every single one of them zero by itself? This is for example the case, if you are solving in some sort of magnetostatic mode, the governing equations are formulated for a scalar potential phi and the field follows from H = - grad phi. Therefore, all the components in the force expressions are indeed second order derivatives.

An easy work around is to add additional (auxiliary) variables (Hx, Hy, Hz) which are defined as, e.g. Hx = - diff(phi,x). This way, you should be able to evaluate all expressions diff(Hx,x) and so on.

Alex

Dear Alex,

Thanks fou your suggestions, I will try my best to do it as what you said.

Best wishes,

Hongliang
[QUOTE] Hi, I don't know if this helps, but one thing you should check is the spatial derivatives of the magnetic field H. Is every single one of them zero by itself? This is for example the case, if you are solving in some sort of magnetostatic mode, the governing equations are formulated for a scalar potential phi and the field follows from H = - grad phi. Therefore, all the components in the force expressions are indeed second order derivatives. An easy work around is to add additional (auxiliary) variables (Hx, Hy, Hz) which are defined as, e.g. Hx = - diff(phi,x). This way, you should be able to evaluate all expressions diff(Hx,x) and so on. Alex [/QUOTE] Dear Alex, Thanks fou your suggestions, I will try my best to do it as what you said. Best wishes, Hongliang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.