Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add the graphene in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to implement graphene using COMSOL but it is asking for the electrical conductivity of the graphene,so kindly suggest me how to get it.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies Last Post 10 gen 2023, 11:04 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 17 ago 2022, 17:56 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 17 ago 2022, 18:01 GMT-4

There are published papers about graphene. A quick web search finds, among others: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6474003/ Just type "electrical conductivity of graphene" into a search engine. Once you identify the value (or values) for its electrical conducticity in your circumstances, plus any other important/needed physical properties of graphene in your model, then you can then define your own material as (for example) "MyGraphene," just as you would any other user-defined material in Comsol Multiphysics.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There are published papers about graphene. A quick web search finds, among others: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6474003/ Just type "electrical conductivity of graphene" into a search engine. Once you identify the value (or values) for its electrical conducticity in your circumstances, plus any other important/needed physical properties of graphene in your model, then you can then define your own material as (for example) "MyGraphene," just as you would any other user-defined material in Comsol Multiphysics.

Posted: 1 year ago 10 gen 2023, 11:04 GMT-5

The conductivity is depending on direction, in one direction its metallic, and in the other its semiconducting (x and y along the surface directions). In the conducting direction, lets say x we have as the attached figure says. Number of quantum conductance 2e^2/hN, where N=aD, and a=0.01nm, and D=diameter of graphene flake/ribbon. Tried simple model with isotropic resistivity (not as I mention above) to use the Contact Impedance, using surface impedance with: surface resistance=Ac/sigG, where sigG=Nc2e_const^2/h_const and Nc=2a/0.01[nm]. It should be better than silver, but it seems comsol only sort of add this resistivity to the bulk resistivity, and nothing interesting happens. rhoBulk=1 and Ac=pia^2, a=0.1 in the model.

To see a more realistic effect i used floating potential on the circle flake instead. The potatial of a metallic flake should be constant over the flake. This works fine. Havn't foond a way to "fool" comsol to do it in the right way. I guess it has to be done with weak formulation...

The conductivity is depending on direction, in one direction its metallic, and in the other its semiconducting (x and y along the surface directions). In the conducting direction, lets say x we have as the attached figure says. Number of quantum conductance 2e^2/h*N, where N=a*D, and a=0.01nm, and D=diameter of graphene flake/ribbon. Tried simple model with isotropic resistivity (not as I mention above) to use the Contact Impedance, using surface impedance with: surface resistance=Ac/sigG, where sigG=Nc*2*e_const^2/h_const and Nc=2*a/0.01[nm]. It should be better than silver, but it seems comsol only sort of add this resistivity to the bulk resistivity, and nothing interesting happens. rhoBulk=1 and Ac=pi*a^2, a=0.1 in the model. To see a more realistic effect i used floating potential on the circle flake instead. The potatial of a metallic flake should be constant over the flake. This works fine. Havn't foond a way to "fool" comsol to do it in the right way. I guess it has to be done with weak formulation...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.