Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Apply Displacement to the Edges / Facets of My Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D model consisting of 6 facets. The geometric of these facets are pyramids.

I want to apply displacement only (I do not want to use the force the get the deformation and displacement).

I used the Prescribed Displacement condition to control the displacement that I needed, but the issue is the displacement is applied to the whole ( Edges or Facets).

I want a different value of displacement that I need to apply to the condition. For example, the displacement at the top of the edges should be high, while the displacement at the bottom of the edges should be lower (close to zero) at the bottom of the edges.

I attached a 2D image of one facet to show my point.

Thank you,

2 Replies Last Post 14 apr 2022, 17:39 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 13 apr 2022, 17:13 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 13 apr 2022, 17:33 GMT-4

Hello Shuayl,

The COMSOL GUI is interpreted, so you can type as the displacement imposed on an edge an expression that depends on coordinates. There's also a parametrization of each edge and face you could use for that purpose though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (See Reference Manual, version 6.0, page 322 for all the details). Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Shuayl, The COMSOL GUI is interpreted, so you can type as the displacement imposed on an edge an expression that depends on coordinates. There's also a parametrization of each edge and face you could use for that purpose though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (See Reference Manual, version 6.0, page 322 for all the details). Best, Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 14 apr 2022, 17:39 GMT-4

Thank you for your response. I will test your recommendation.

Thank you for your response. I will test your recommendation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.