Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

I cannot visualize the deformed shape of a nanobeam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am carrying out an estimation of eigenfrequencies of a multiwalled carbon nanotube of 50nm of diameter and 10um of length. This is a work that has been developed before, and can be found in the literature, however the lenght and diameter used on such work is shorter.

According to those works, a model based on Euler-beam theory can succesfully estimate the eigenfrecuencies. So, I build a model based on it. After some calculus to determine the area moment of inertia and torsional constant for a concentric geometry, we run the model, and the obtained results were very similar to reported. The eigenfrequencies obtained are in the order of THz.

However, when we want to visualize the deformed shape of the beam, this is not showed. If we only check the option for Boundary in "postprocessing>plot parameters" and also we select any obtained eigenfrecuency, we can clearly observe the zones on the beam were the crest of the "vibration modes" are located, by means of the "total displacement". (Please find attached: Image 1: The zone of total displacement at vibration mode of 3.08 THz. Image 2: a Line/extrusion plot of the beam, where is shown the displacements at "crest" of the vibration mode.)

Why cannot I visualize the deformed shape of the beam when I check the option "deformed shape" in plot parameters?.

When we performed this same model at larger scale (m), the deformed shape can visualized. Is there a constraint of COMSOL 3.5a for nanoscale concerning these issues?

I really will appreciate the answer of someone from this useful forum.

Thank you.

PSD: THE MODE OF VIBRATION AT IMAGE1 IS 3.08 THz. and not as "TPa".

0 Replies Last Post 10 lug 2012, 18:28 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Carlos Espinoza

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.