Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut a 3D model for symmetry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to apply an electric potential across two points on opposite edges on a 3D slab and look at the joule heating. I want to use symmetry of joule heating along the plane in the direction of current flow and also along the plane perpendicular to the direction of current flow.

1) how do I "cut" the model to apply symmetry conditions to the heat transfer module? (I understand that symmetry boundaries are external)

2) if I cut the model perpendicular to the direction of current flow, how do I apply a voltage at the other end which, is now cut off? (in other words, how do I apply symmetry planes for heat transfer module without affecting the ac/dc module)

Thanks,
suhas

1 Reply Last Post 9 lug 2012, 02:05 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 lug 2012, 02:05 GMT-4

I am trying to apply an electric potential across two points on opposite edges on a 3D slab and look at the joule heating. I want to use symmetry of joule heating along the plane in the direction of current flow and also along the plane perpendicular to the direction of current flow.

1) how do I "cut" the model to apply symmetry conditions to the heat transfer module? (I understand that symmetry boundaries are external)

2) if I cut the model perpendicular to the direction of current flow, how do I apply a voltage at the other end which, is now cut off? (in other words, how do I apply symmetry planes for heat transfer module without affecting the ac/dc module)

Thanks,
suhas

hi .. !

if u have cut it in xz plane previously .. try to cut it in yz plane so that you are left with half the electrodes in both place. i.e half cathode and half anode.. then you should be able to apply symmetry for both the physics...

In case you don't know how to cut ...

Just make a work-plane in the position that u need to cut the geometry . then make a rectange big enuf and then do a difference operation : "new block - your geometry" .. you will get the remaining geomtry ..

if u need further explanations .. please provide your model file !

[QUOTE] I am trying to apply an electric potential across two points on opposite edges on a 3D slab and look at the joule heating. I want to use symmetry of joule heating along the plane in the direction of current flow and also along the plane perpendicular to the direction of current flow. 1) how do I "cut" the model to apply symmetry conditions to the heat transfer module? (I understand that symmetry boundaries are external) 2) if I cut the model perpendicular to the direction of current flow, how do I apply a voltage at the other end which, is now cut off? (in other words, how do I apply symmetry planes for heat transfer module without affecting the ac/dc module) Thanks, suhas [/QUOTE] hi .. ! if u have cut it in xz plane previously .. try to cut it in yz plane so that you are left with half the electrodes in both place. i.e half cathode and half anode.. then you should be able to apply symmetry for both the physics... In case you don't know how to cut ... Just make a work-plane in the position that u need to cut the geometry . then make a rectange big enuf and then do a difference operation : "new block - your geometry" .. you will get the remaining geomtry .. if u need further explanations .. please provide your model file !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.