Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inflation of a cavity filled with a compressible fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model a cavity being filled with a compressible fluid. The cavity is pressurized, due theoretically to the intrusion of new fluid, which causes deformation of the elastic domain surrounding it.

I've tried to model this using Structural mechanics and applying a load on the boundary of a sphere (embedded within another bigger domain) but my solution doesn't seem to account for the compressibility of the sphere. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?? Should I use fsi instead of Structural Mechanics ??

Thanks a lot !

Karen.

2 Replies Last Post 8 mag 2012, 21:43 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mag 2012, 12:05 GMT-4

Hi,

I'm trying to model a cavity being filled with a compressible fluid. The cavity is pressurized, due theoretically to the intrusion of new fluid, which causes deformation of the elastic domain surrounding it.

I've tried to model this using Structural mechanics and applying a load on the boundary of a sphere (embedded within another bigger domain) but my solution doesn't seem to account for the compressibility of the sphere. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?? Should I use fsi instead of Structural Mechanics ??

Thanks a lot !

Karen.

Karen,

As long as you will have multiple physics of Structural Mechanics and Fluid Mechanics, in this example, you must use the FSI. You need to define the Young's Modulus for those boundary with potential deformation and run it.

Let me know what you have achived so far. I am working on similar problem, too.

Good luck,

Ehsan
[QUOTE] Hi, I'm trying to model a cavity being filled with a compressible fluid. The cavity is pressurized, due theoretically to the intrusion of new fluid, which causes deformation of the elastic domain surrounding it. I've tried to model this using Structural mechanics and applying a load on the boundary of a sphere (embedded within another bigger domain) but my solution doesn't seem to account for the compressibility of the sphere. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?? Should I use fsi instead of Structural Mechanics ?? Thanks a lot ! Karen. [/QUOTE] Karen, As long as you will have multiple physics of Structural Mechanics and Fluid Mechanics, in this example, you must use the FSI. You need to define the Young's Modulus for those boundary with potential deformation and run it. Let me know what you have achived so far. I am working on similar problem, too. Good luck, Ehsan

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mag 2012, 21:43 GMT-4
Hi Ehsan,

Thanks a lot for the interest and the help !
I've started a model in FSI (I've tried before but wasn't too self-confident), but I didn't manage to go very far at all. The sphere, supposed to behave as a compressible domain, seems to behave as an incompressible domain and fits the analytical displacements for a pressurized incompressible sphere. I've attached the model here, if you feel like having a look.
If you have any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated as I'm reaching a point where being neither very good in physics nor in FEM- I really don't see what I could try to make this model work !

Thanks again and have a great week,

Karen.
Hi Ehsan, Thanks a lot for the interest and the help ! I've started a model in FSI (I've tried before but wasn't too self-confident), but I didn't manage to go very far at all. The sphere, supposed to behave as a compressible domain, seems to behave as an incompressible domain and fits the analytical displacements for a pressurized incompressible sphere. I've attached the model here, if you feel like having a look. If you have any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated as I'm reaching a point where being neither very good in physics nor in FEM- I really don't see what I could try to make this model work ! Thanks again and have a great week, Karen.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.