Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing Using Geometry Difference Feature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm doing a project for an aerospace class in which I'm completing a fluid-structure analysis of a balloon design. In order to generate the balloon structure and interior helium I used a difference in geometry (See the attached COMSOL model). When I go to mesh the model setup I recieve an error that domain 2, the balloon domain, doesn't mesh properly. I figure there may be an issue with the geometry difference feature. Can anyone provide any insight on my issue? I wish to generate a mesh of the entire model ASAP.

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies Last Post 16 apr 2012, 10:28 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2012, 02:46 GMT-4
Hi

you issue is that you have a far too coarse mesh, and your very thin entity (Domain 2) needs to be defined with a "extremely fine" mesh Size (or even finer = manual settings)

Furthermore, I'm not sure your material is really well represented by "Linear Elastic" but why not start with that

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you issue is that you have a far too coarse mesh, and your very thin entity (Domain 2) needs to be defined with a "extremely fine" mesh Size (or even finer = manual settings) Furthermore, I'm not sure your material is really well represented by "Linear Elastic" but why not start with that -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2012, 05:41 GMT-4
Thank you for your help. I will try meshing it again with your suggestions. Also, I changed the linear-elastic model to hyperelastic. Maybe that will descirbe the deformation of the balloon better.
Thank you for your help. I will try meshing it again with your suggestions. Also, I changed the linear-elastic model to hyperelastic. Maybe that will descirbe the deformation of the balloon better.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2012, 10:28 GMT-4
Hi,

Try to predifine the mesh of cube = Normal and Edge=extremely fine

You will get the response

Dinh An
Hi, Try to predifine the mesh of cube = Normal and Edge=extremely fine You will get the response Dinh An

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.