Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Integral over moving region in stationary solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a stationary magnetic field and would like to take the integral of H over a moving region inside the simulated domain. This can be done with a moving mesh and selecting the moving domain in the integral operator, but then I need to solve in a time-dependent study. Is there any way of spatially varying the integration bounds without using a moving mesh?

Say that I have a 1D domain and I want to integrate from x=0 to 1 at t=0, but this domain of integration moves with a velocity of t so that at t=1, the integration is from x=1 to 2. The field does not change in time, so I would simply need to vary the integration boundaries without needing to have a time-dependent study.

I found this blog post Integrals with moving limits, but I'm not sure if this will actually give me what I want. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alexandre

2 Replies Last Post 23 ott 2020, 12:16 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 22 ott 2020, 16:17 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 22 ott 2020, 16:54 GMT-4

Hi Alexandre,

Is the shape of the region on which you want to perform the integration simple enough that you could carry the integration on the entire geometry but use a boolean expression in the integrand, like in the attached file?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Alexandre, Is the shape of the region on which you want to perform the integration simple enough that you could carry the integration on the entire geometry but use a boolean expression in the integrand, like in the attached file? Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 23 ott 2020, 12:16 GMT-4

Hi Jeff,

This is exactly what I wanted and is much more elegant than what I was envisioning.

Thank you,

Alexandre

Hi Jeff, This is exactly what I wanted and is much more elegant than what I was envisioning. Thank you, Alexandre

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.