Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coupling microfluidics with nernst planck and electric current, need to verify debye length

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm Paul. I'm currently doing simulation solving coexisting microfluidic flow, electric current and Nernst Planck equations.
Specifically i'm using Fluid-structure interaction model and input a creeping flow.
Also, I have a dc electric current flowing through the microfluidic chamber. To also consider the electroosmotic flow, boundary condition of the walls in FSI model is set with electrosomotic velocity.

We specifically want to look at how ions in the microfluidic system flow. Originally i was using the transport of diluted species. But an advisor told me that i should use nernst planck equation. and after reading through the documentation, i think considering interactions of ions, i do should use nernst planck equation.

in nernst planck equation, inward current density and potential boundary of the microfluidic system were input as from electric current model. (current density used ec.JX, and potential used V)

I could make this model work. But now it needs verification. I am a novice in FEM simulation so i would really appreciate any comments and input.
The question i have is that an advisor told me that i need to verify the debye length of the EDL. because the electroosmotic flow from the FSI results seemed a bit strange.

Do anyone know how do i show results in 2D or 1D for debye length around the boundary for verification?

thank you all

(i have trouble attaching surface result of electroosmotic flow..let me try it later)

0 Replies Last Post 26 feb 2012, 01:48 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paul Tsai

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.