Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Not particle movement when using massless formulation in particle tracing module.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I ran a model of an rod extrusion die by using the laminar and non Newtonian flow formulation. Afterwards, I implemented particle tracing module looking forward to finding the time that takes for the particles to exit the die. This time is called "residence time".

When using Newtonian formulation and implemented the drag force condition my model works fine. But regarding this formulation, I don't know what density of the particle to choose. Should I select the density of the material in the laminar flow formulation?

On the other hand, the particles in my model must be mass-less, but I don't obtain any answer, every time I implement this formulation. My answer is zero particles in the domain, and not warnings are showing by COMSOL.

I wonder if somebody knows what kind of additional conditions I should implement in the mass-less formulation? How can I achieve movement in the particles when using mass-less formulation?

2 Replies Last Post 25 feb 2012, 14:51 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 feb 2012, 15:19 GMT-5
When you use massless particles make sure you set the Particle Velocity in the Particle Properties node to u, v and w (for the x, y and z components).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
When you use massless particles make sure you set the Particle Velocity in the Particle Properties node to u, v and w (for the x, y and z components). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 feb 2012, 14:51 GMT-5
Thank you so much,

The problem was the velocity. Now, I have the results that I was looking for.
Thank you so much, The problem was the velocity. Now, I have the results that I was looking for.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.