Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to use FSI and rotating machine models together?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I did a 2d rotation simulation using the rotating machine physics and it works. But in my case, an air fan instead of the inner circle should rotate because of the inlet air pressure and there should be some little deformation on the fan blade under the pressure. How can I do it?

Is that Ok if I use FSI and how can I do it?

Thank you for the help!

Have a good day!

4 Replies Last Post 27 gen 2012, 15:59 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 gen 2012, 14:50 GMT-5
Hi

One way would be to say the air pressure does not deform a lot your rotating part, and that this deformation will not have any major influence on your air pressure.
Ten you can calculate the pressure from a CFD moel with rotating elements, and perform separately a structural analysis by using the precalculated pressure as boundary loading.

But I would then also suggest to add the roational centrifugal body force from the rotation speed, as I suspect this force could be stronger and would also change the shape and stress level seen by the fan blades
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi One way would be to say the air pressure does not deform a lot your rotating part, and that this deformation will not have any major influence on your air pressure. Ten you can calculate the pressure from a CFD moel with rotating elements, and perform separately a structural analysis by using the precalculated pressure as boundary loading. But I would then also suggest to add the roational centrifugal body force from the rotation speed, as I suspect this force could be stronger and would also change the shape and stress level seen by the fan blades -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 gen 2012, 14:57 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for your reply!

My problem is the fan should be rotated by the air pressure instead of a given rpm, how can I do it and which model I should used?

Is there any example or tutorials?

Thank you for your help!
Hi Ivar, Thank you for your reply! My problem is the fan should be rotated by the air pressure instead of a given rpm, how can I do it and which model I should used? Is there any example or tutorials? Thank you for your help!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 gen 2012, 15:06 GMT-5
Hi

even if it is the air that defines the rpm speed, you still can analyse that from your cfd model, and then apply pressure load and pm speed to a separate solid analysis.

A fully coupled rotating FSI model is still possible but far more complex to set up and to solve, and I suppose you must "hand knit" it by your own, I do not know of one such pre-cooked physics

There are at least one fan model around, not sure if its in the library or on the main web site (I'm not by my COMSOL WS so I cannot search it up)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi even if it is the air that defines the rpm speed, you still can analyse that from your cfd model, and then apply pressure load and pm speed to a separate solid analysis. A fully coupled rotating FSI model is still possible but far more complex to set up and to solve, and I suppose you must "hand knit" it by your own, I do not know of one such pre-cooked physics There are at least one fan model around, not sure if its in the library or on the main web site (I'm not by my COMSOL WS so I cannot search it up) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 gen 2012, 15:59 GMT-5
Thank you, it is really helpful
Thank you, it is really helpful

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.