Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Basic COMSOL Help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to COMSOL and am trying to accomplish something that I thought would be trivial: I have one ellipsoid geometry and one filled cylinder geometry on top of the ellipse, so that the bottom (flat side) of the cylinder is touching the top of the ellipse. Is there a way in COMSOL to have the surfaces 'merge', i.e. so that the cylinder will extend down to the face of the ellipse?

Thanks for your Help

2 Replies Last Post 16 dic 2011, 16:05 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 dic 2011, 14:09 GMT-5
Sorry, I am using version 4.2. I also attached a image for visualization of my problem. You can see the small cylinder on the ellipse and how there is space between the two surfaces.
Sorry, I am using version 4.2. I also attached a image for visualization of my problem. You can see the small cylinder on the ellipse and how there is space between the two surfaces.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 dic 2011, 16:05 GMT-5
Hi

from the image you show the two objects just touches on a common "point", you need to have them intersecting to define domains and boundaries (volumes and surfaces in 3D). then you can use the union with or without keeping the internal boundaries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from the image you show the two objects just touches on a common "point", you need to have them intersecting to define domains and boundaries (volumes and surfaces in 3D). then you can use the union with or without keeping the internal boundaries -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.