Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solid.pw

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have some doubts regarding the variable solid.pw ; In particular, which is its meaning and which is the difference between solid.pw and solid.pm?

Thanks a lot, Maria

5 Replies Last Post 22 nov 2019, 05:23 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 20 nov 2019, 09:18 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 20 nov 2019, 04:18 GMT-5

This thread explains how to find the mathematical definition for a varaible whose name you know.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
[This thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/243661/expression-for-variables) explains how to find the mathematical definition for a varaible whose name you know. Best, Jeff

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 21 nov 2019, 02:15 GMT-5

Hi Maria,

solid.pm is the 'pressure' as obtained by dividing the trace of the stress tensor by 3 (and reversing the sign). This variable always exists.

solid.pw is the pressure degree of freedom introduced when you select a mixed formulation (that is not only displacements as degreed of freedom).

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Maria, solid.pm is the 'pressure' as obtained by dividing the trace of the stress tensor by 3 (and reversing the sign). This variable always exists. solid.pw is the pressure degree of freedom introduced when you select a mixed formulation (that is not only displacements as degreed of freedom). Regards, Henrik

Posted: 4 years ago 21 nov 2019, 09:10 GMT-5

Hi Maria,

solid.pm is the 'pressure' as obtained by dividing the trace of the stress tensor by 3 (and reversing the sign). This variable always exists.

solid.pw is the pressure degree of freedom introduced when you select a mixed formulation (that is not only displacements as degreed of freedom).

Regards,
Henrik

Thank you so much for your support Henrik.

My problem is that I have a breast model within which I inserted a prosthesis. I want to analyze which is the pressure on the surface of the prosthesis which is in contact whit the biological tissue. I think that my interesting variabile is solid.pm. Is it correct?

Thanking you in advance, BR

Maria

>Hi Maria, > >solid.pm is the 'pressure' as obtained by dividing the trace of the stress tensor by 3 (and reversing the sign). This variable always exists. > >solid.pw is the pressure degree of freedom introduced when you select a mixed formulation (that is not only displacements as degreed of freedom). > >Regards, >Henrik Thank you so much for your support Henrik. My problem is that I have a breast model within which I inserted a prosthesis. I want to analyze which is the pressure on the surface of the prosthesis which is in contact whit the biological tissue. I think that my interesting variabile is solid.pm. Is it correct? Thanking you in advance, BR Maria

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 22 nov 2019, 04:46 GMT-5

Hi Maria,

If I understand you right, you are looking for the pressure excerted by one object on the boundary of another. If this is the case, solid.pm is not what you are looking for. You want the normal component of the traction; that is

Here n is the normal to the boundary and is the full stress tensor.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Maria, If I understand you right, you are looking for the pressure excerted by one object on the boundary of another. If this is the case, solid.pm is not what you are looking for. You want the normal component of the traction; that is \sigma_n = \mathbf n^T \boldsymbol \sigma \mathbf n Here **n** is the normal to the boundary and \boldsymbol \sigma is the full stress tensor. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 4 years ago 22 nov 2019, 05:23 GMT-5

Hi Maria,

If I understand you right, you are looking for the pressure excerted by one object on the boundary of another. If this is the case, solid.pm is not what you are looking for. You want the normal component of the traction; that is

\sigma_n = \mathbf n^T \boldsymbol \sigma \mathbf n

Here n is the normal to the boundary and \boldsymbol \sigma is the full stress tensor.

Regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Thank you so much for your precious support. So, in order to obtain this normal component of the traction, should I insert that expression in Comsol? Where? I'm a beginner with this software, so I'm not sure to make correct assumptions.

Thank you!

>Hi Maria, > >If I understand you right, you are looking for the pressure excerted by one object on the boundary of another. If this is the case, solid.pm is not what you are looking for. You want the normal component of the traction; that is > > \sigma_n = \mathbf n^T \boldsymbol \sigma \mathbf n > >Here **n** is the normal to the boundary and \boldsymbol \sigma is the full stress tensor. > >Regards, >Henrik Hi Henrik, Thank you so much for your precious support. So, in order to obtain this normal component of the traction, should I insert that expression in Comsol? Where? I'm a beginner with this software, so I'm not sure to make correct assumptions. Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.