Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Connecting two shell elements in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

I am trying to build an axisymmetric model composed of two shell elements (1 fully closed, 1 with hole in the center), both having different thicknesses and material properties. In the end this should give a thin membrane with a slightly smaller ring resting on the bottom side. To get an impression what it should look like, have a look on the attached file (COMSOL 4.1 version). So far I used two independent shell elements, but unfortunately I couldn't get them connected together.
Do you have any suggestions how to get my desired model ?

Furthermore I want to observe the membrane deflection for a given cut line in a 2D plot. Both 3D plane and line extraction delivered no result, the plot was just empty and no values were written when trying to export the data. What is wrong here ?

Thanks in advance for helping me out,
Matthias

0 Replies Last Post 12 set 2011, 07:34 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matthias Feser

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.