Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Relationship between complete matrixes('K','E','D',L') and the elliminated ones ('Kc','Ec','Dc',Lc')

Masoud Ghorbani Moghaddam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I know that the elliminated matrix is the matix after removing those DOF of the model that have pre-valued and they do not contribute into these matrixes. Even in the Help Document, it has told same definition as any other FEM books. But in practice, when I get the complete matrixes('K','E','D',L') and also the elliminated ones ('Kc','Ec','Dc',Lc'), I see totally different numbers. For example, one of them is that:

1) Damping matrix (D) is Zero, but the Elliminated Damping Matirx (Dc) is Nonzero(Complex number).
or
2) Some part of the Stiffness Matrix (24*24) and the elliminated stiffness matrix with reduced 12 DOF (12*12) is:

>> MA.K----------------------------------------MA.Kc

1.0e+010 *----------------------------------1.0e+011 *

(1,1) 1.8291--------------------------- (1,1) 1.0091
(2,1) 0.3205----------------------------(2,1) 0.1062
(3,1) 0.3205----------------------------(3,1) 0.1062
(4,1) -0.3675---------------------------(4,1) -0.2064
(5,1) 0.1603----------------------------(5,1) 0.0531

I appreciate if someone tells me what is the right way for interpreting the Elliminated Matrixes?

Best Regards,
Masoud

2 Replies Last Post 1 nov 2011, 14:05 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Masoud Ghorbani Moghaddam

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 ott 2011, 19:17 GMT-4
It seems that a lot of people keeps asking the same question, but noone gets an answer.

Even if you exctact ('K','E','D',L') ,
why I can't go back to the solution using K\L

How can we use those matrices?

The connection between these matrices can be found here
www.kxcad.net/Altair/HyperWorks/oshelp/direct_matrix_approach.htm
It seems that a lot of people keeps asking the same question, but noone gets an answer. Even if you exctact ('K','E','D',L') , why I can't go back to the solution using K\L How can we use those matrices? The connection between these matrices can be found here http://www.kxcad.net/Altair/HyperWorks/oshelp/direct_matrix_approach.htm

Masoud Ghorbani Moghaddam

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov 2011, 14:05 GMT-4
Marios,

Hi. Could you figure out how they should be interpreted?
Marios, Hi. Could you figure out how they should be interpreted?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.