Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric Field outside of a conducting sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm very new to Comsol, and to be honest, my physics is a little rusty. I have two point potentials of equal and opposite value inside a conducting sphere. I am trying to calculate the E-field outside of the sphere. My geometry consist of 2 spheres, one inside of the other. The inner sphere was given characteristics of Copper and the outer sphere that of air. I placed a point potential along the x-axis and one of equal and opposite value in the center. I have attatched my model.

Josh

3 Replies Last Post 19 lug 2011, 12:57 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2011, 03:44 GMT-4
Hi,

I cannot open your model, because I am still on 4.1, but in general:

You won't see an electric field outside the conducting sphere with charges or potentials just inside.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, I cannot open your model, because I am still on 4.1, but in general: You won't see an electric field outside the conducting sphere with charges or potentials just inside. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2011, 07:00 GMT-4
I should correct myself: you will see the field of a sphere with the total charge inside. With two charges of equal magnitude and opposite sign the total charge is zero, i.e. no field outside.
I should correct myself: you will see the field of a sphere with the total charge inside. With two charges of equal magnitude and opposite sign the total charge is zero, i.e. no field outside.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2011, 12:57 GMT-4
Makes sense. Thanks! What about the magnetic field of a line current in the sphere. Suppose I have an edge of current extending from some Z_0 to Z. I want to determing the Magnetic field inside and outside of the sphere, but I can't get the solution to converge. I am using the same geometry as before, which is a conducting sphere inside another sphere. I have a line from Z=.7 to Z=0. I am adding infinite elements to the domain outside of the conducting sphere. I have tried adding a transition boundary condition to the boundaries of the conducting sphere, but have failed in converging on a solution. It seems to me like this should be a simple model but I am having no success. Any suggestions?
Makes sense. Thanks! What about the magnetic field of a line current in the sphere. Suppose I have an edge of current extending from some Z_0 to Z. I want to determing the Magnetic field inside and outside of the sphere, but I can't get the solution to converge. I am using the same geometry as before, which is a conducting sphere inside another sphere. I have a line from Z=.7 to Z=0. I am adding infinite elements to the domain outside of the conducting sphere. I have tried adding a transition boundary condition to the boundaries of the conducting sphere, but have failed in converging on a solution. It seems to me like this should be a simple model but I am having no success. Any suggestions?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.