Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric newbie question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I've made a simple 2D piezoelectric device, applying electric potentials at its ends.. But, when I run the study, the mechanical deformations are null...

Probably I'm doing some basic mistake... Can someone show me what I'm doing wrong? I'm attaching my file.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies Last Post 21 giu 2011, 06:22 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 giu 2011, 00:20 GMT-4
Ouch, my upload failed...
Ouch, my upload failed...

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 giu 2011, 15:09 GMT-4
Solved!

My Coordinate System was not properly set...

In my case, I should select Material XZ-Plane System under my Piezoelectric Material Model...
Solved! My Coordinate System was not properly set... In my case, I should select Material XZ-Plane System under my Piezoelectric Material Model...

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2011, 09:49 GMT-4
Hey
I'm a newb to comsol too. Just started working on exactly the same problem as mentioned by you, faced the same problem too- no deflection when the potential is applied. But i am not able to solve it. Please elaborate the procedure.
Please help.
Hey I'm a newb to comsol too. Just started working on exactly the same problem as mentioned by you, faced the same problem too- no deflection when the potential is applied. But i am not able to solve it. Please elaborate the procedure. Please help.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2011, 12:14 GMT-4
It can be for several reasons, as Ricardo said, by a bad definition of the polarization of ceramics, or if you are using the structural module in combination with piezoelectric may not be the coupled correctly configured. When I do a model that combines structural elements and piezoelectric elements its better use the piezoelectric module and define piezoelectric materials and linear elastic on the same module, for this way structural coupling is automatically configured and loads are transferred automatically...
More data are needed, Could you describe your model or send the file ?

Victor

--
Victor Acosta
It can be for several reasons, as Ricardo said, by a bad definition of the polarization of ceramics, or if you are using the structural module in combination with piezoelectric may not be the coupled correctly configured. When I do a model that combines structural elements and piezoelectric elements its better use the piezoelectric module and define piezoelectric materials and linear elastic on the same module, for this way structural coupling is automatically configured and loads are transferred automatically... More data are needed, Could you describe your model or send the file ? Victor -- Victor Acosta

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 giu 2011, 06:22 GMT-4
Problem solved! Was very elementary, the coordinates were not set properly and the boundary conditions were messed up. Checked the model pdf and was able to solve it. I'm kinda getting a hang of it now. Thank you.
Problem solved! Was very elementary, the coordinates were not set properly and the boundary conditions were messed up. Checked the model pdf and was able to solve it. I'm kinda getting a hang of it now. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.