Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parabolic geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to create the parabolic geometry y = sqrt(x^2+C) to define an electrode array. How can I do this just making use of COMSOL (at the moment I do not have access to CAD or MATLAB)?
I know how to define a function in "global definitions", but I do not know how to put this into the geometry submenu.

Thank you very much!

3 Replies Last Post 9 giu 2011, 09:32 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 08:32 GMT-4
In 2D, you can use Parametric Curve. That feature was introduced at v4.1.
In 3D, to generate a paraboloid you could use Parametric Surface (feature introduced at 4.2) or, alternatively, you could start in a workplane, use a Parametric Curve and then revolve that curve 360 degrees.
In 2D, you can use Parametric Curve. That feature was introduced at v4.1. In 3D, to generate a paraboloid you could use Parametric Surface (feature introduced at 4.2) or, alternatively, you could start in a workplane, use a Parametric Curve and then revolve that curve 360 degrees.

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 08:47 GMT-4

Thanks, unfortunately I am using Vers. 4.0a; is there any way to perform it?
Thanks, unfortunately I am using Vers. 4.0a; is there any way to perform it?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 09:32 GMT-4
Upgrade to v4.2 :)
Seriously, it's superior to v4.0a in many ways, not just the availability of these geometric primitives, so it's really worth keeping up.
Upgrade to v4.2 :) Seriously, it's superior to v4.0a in many ways, not just the availability of these geometric primitives, so it's really worth keeping up.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.