Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elastic Support

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to model the stick-slip phenomena in the fingerprints. I have a number of "ridges" connected to each other and I want to apply a prescribed displacement to a point on the ridge, with a force input. I know a solution is to use a "stiff-spring" constraint (sort of like an elastic support), where a force input will cause a prescribed displacement on the ridge.

Any idea of how to model a prescribed displacement with a force input?

Thank you
Mandy

2 Replies Last Post 9 giu 2011, 09:21 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 04:04 GMT-4
Hi

I do not believe the prescribed displacement is the one to use, as this enforces a fixed "u" and a spring force is rather a F = -k*u,

So I would propose to use a boundary load of the type F = -Ks*u (or v w or whatever correct combination)

These load cases are added as explicit BCs in V4.2

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe the prescribed displacement is the one to use, as this enforces a fixed "u" and a spring force is rather a F = -k*u, So I would propose to use a boundary load of the type F = -Ks*u (or v w or whatever correct combination) These load cases are added as explicit BCs in V4.2 -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 09:21 GMT-4
Why do you want to apply a prescribed displacement using force input? Why not just apply the displacement directly?

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Why do you want to apply a prescribed displacement using force input? Why not just apply the displacement directly? Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.