Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D fluid dynamics with Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I'm currently using Comsol to simulate a fluid flow through a pipe filled with some particles.
I first made it in 2 dimensions, and now I'm wondering how does Comsol consider these 2-dimension problems. Does it consider that the section is infinitely thin (~plane stress) or infinitely thick (~plane strain) ?

Thank you!
Magali

3 Replies Last Post 9 giu 2011, 15:42 CEST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 giu 2011, 15:25 CEST
Hi

From my understanding so far all 2D are in fact 3D with the third dimension set to 1[m] depth by default (except for 2D-axi that have the depth curled around as a loop length "2*pi*r" that is a different topology)

This is only half of your question, I'm not relly confortable with your solid to fluidics analogy, needs some further thoughts ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From my understanding so far all 2D are in fact 3D with the third dimension set to 1[m] depth by default (except for 2D-axi that have the depth curled around as a loop length "2*pi*r" that is a different topology) This is only half of your question, I'm not relly confortable with your solid to fluidics analogy, needs some further thoughts ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 10:11 CEST
Thank you Ivar,

That is really helpful.

Magali
Thank you Ivar, That is really helpful. Magali

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 15:42 CEST
The plane stress and plane terminology apply to solids only as Ivar mentioned. In planar 2D CFD there is no flow through the third dimension. That makes it similar to the 2D plane strain assumptions in solids.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The plane stress and plane terminology apply to solids only as Ivar mentioned. In planar 2D CFD there is no flow through the third dimension. That makes it similar to the 2D plane strain assumptions in solids. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.