Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating anisotropic elastic coefficient matrix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

my problem is as follows:

I try to do 3D simulation of mechanical properties of filament wound / hook wrapped pressure vessels made from fiber reinforced plastics. So the nature of the material is anisotropic and I had no trouble so far in simulation of simple plate structures.

For simple cylinders, I have to change the material properties in dependence of (x,y) if the cylinder axis is in z-direction. I know how to do this using eulerian angles, but the direct implementation in the elastic coefficients matrix is ... burdensome.

I tried to use the different coordinate systems available in 4.1, in particular the "Rotated System". There is a choice for the coordinate system in the Linear Elastic Material Model tab. But the change from "Global coordinate system" to a "Rotated System" by 90 degrees had no impact? I would have expected, that this should allow for rotation of the material properties.

Am I wrong? Are there more easy ways to implement this task?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

1 Reply Last Post 9 giu 2011, 10:05 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2011, 10:05 GMT-4
The approach you described is correct. I used it several times before and it works. Probably something wrong with your inputs.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The approach you described is correct. I used it several times before and it works. Probably something wrong with your inputs. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.