Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitive crosstalk between adiacent traces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm trying to simulate the crosstalk phenomenom between two adiacent lines using Comsol v4 .

The geometry is easy, one FR4 substrate, two conductors and the air. I use a 2D - electrostatic analysis.

I would like to get the capacitance per length value and for this I found several examples with Comsol 3.5 where It seems to be possible to get the capacitance value simply from the C11 variable.

Ho can I do this in Comsol 4 with a 2D geometry ?

Thank you very much,
Matteo

3 Replies Last Post 25 giu 2011, 12:21 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mag 2011, 08:27 GMT-4
I get it, I should have used Terminal as Boundary condition on the first conductor.

I take out the substrate considering the capacitor filled from the air and the capacitance value seems to be incorrect, for a distance = 2.5 mm , a thickness of 2 mm and width = 0.1 i get 1.54e-10 F/m different from the value I find with C[F/m] = er*thickness/distance...

Any help?

Matte

Update: I just realized that this is the Capacitance Value..not the capacotance per unit length...so how Comsol calculates this capacitance?
I get it, I should have used Terminal as Boundary condition on the first conductor. I take out the substrate considering the capacitor filled from the air and the capacitance value seems to be incorrect, for a distance = 2.5 mm , a thickness of 2 mm and width = 0.1 i get 1.54e-10 F/m different from the value I find with C[F/m] = er*thickness/distance... Any help? Matte Update: I just realized that this is the Capacitance Value..not the capacotance per unit length...so how Comsol calculates this capacitance?

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mag 2011, 10:13 GMT-4
Sorry I wasn't able to open the last model. Did you checked the out-of-plane thickness in the Electrostatic tab ?

EDIT: Did you checked this model www.comsol.com/community/exchange/95/ ?
Sorry I wasn't able to open the last model. Did you checked the out-of-plane thickness in the Electrostatic tab ? EDIT: Did you checked this model http://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/95/ ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2011, 12:21 GMT-4
Hi, sorry for being late but I didn't notice the reply.

Here the project file. The capacitance value in a 2D problem should be per unit length, isn't it ?

Thanks,
Matteo
Hi, sorry for being late but I didn't notice the reply. Here the project file. The capacitance value in a 2D problem should be per unit length, isn't it ? Thanks, Matteo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.