Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

local parameters on subdomain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

It's very comfortable using local parameters such as "s" in 2D or "s1" and "s2" in 3D for setting up varying values depending on the space variable at the boundary. But I want to use them on subdomains as well. For example for a distributed volumetric flux.

Does anybody know how? Are local (geometric) parameters available on subdomains?

Best regards

4 Replies Last Post 22 feb 2011, 08:53 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 06:29 GMT-5
Hi Kai

Well I like "s" as it's well defined. But s1 and s2 for 2D boundaries are more tricky to use, as they are not necessarily normalised to 0-1 and far less obvious (I find) to understand where they are pointing to.

in V4 the boundary coordinates do help, as also the new vector coordinate plotting options

But on domains, you are left with the Cartesian, and a few common user coordinates systems such as cylindrical, spherical or general mapped, still haven't fully figured out how to use them in equations as they do not have a clear, written out "equation subnode" so some hypothesis and tests are required before using the

...sys2.T11 ...sys2.T12 etc

What else are you thinking of ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Kai Well I like "s" as it's well defined. But s1 and s2 for 2D boundaries are more tricky to use, as they are not necessarily normalised to 0-1 and far less obvious (I find) to understand where they are pointing to. in V4 the boundary coordinates do help, as also the new vector coordinate plotting options But on domains, you are left with the Cartesian, and a few common user coordinates systems such as cylindrical, spherical or general mapped, still haven't fully figured out how to use them in equations as they do not have a clear, written out "equation subnode" so some hypothesis and tests are required before using the ...sys2.T11 ...sys2.T12 etc What else are you thinking of ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 07:40 GMT-5
HI Ivar,

until now, I always thought that 0<=(s1, s2)<=0.5

When I used them, the boundary was a rectangle and this usally worked according to the relation above. Now I'm a more carefull using them. :)

I tried 'sys2.T11' and 'sys2.T12' but they weren't defined and I couldn't find something about thm in the doc. I'm (still) using V3.5a, so in V4.1 many things a different ...

I just want to have the equivalent variables of s1 and s2 when using them as boundary parameters at 3D to some variables on the 2D subdomain.

kind regards

HI Ivar, until now, I always thought that 0

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 08:18 GMT-5
Hi

indeed sys2.T11 are part of the transformation matrix of a "user coordinate"system that one can define in V4. The only thing about using them I haven't found the "true" content described in equations, only in "principle", and I'm slightly susceptible, I like formulas that are precise and univoque (thats perhaps a French word, not sure what is the corresponding English / American one ;)

Now I have never trusted that s1, s2 were uniquely normalised, at least there are several warnings about it in the 3.5 doc

In V4 we have the default boundary coordinate system t1, t2, n (in 3.5a too if I remember right) see below

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed sys2.T11 are part of the transformation matrix of a "user coordinate"system that one can define in V4. The only thing about using them I haven't found the "true" content described in equations, only in "principle", and I'm slightly susceptible, I like formulas that are precise and univoque (thats perhaps a French word, not sure what is the corresponding English / American one ;) Now I have never trusted that s1, s2 were uniquely normalised, at least there are several warnings about it in the 3.5 doc In V4 we have the default boundary coordinate system t1, t2, n (in 3.5a too if I remember right) see below -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 08:53 GMT-5
Thanks, Ivar!

I guess switching to 4.x is really needed :)
Thanks, Ivar! I guess switching to 4.x is really needed :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.