Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have a 1.2mmx1.2mmx6u square plate resting on a 1.2mmx1.2mmx100u plate. When I try to mesh the entire geometry, the mesh density on the thinner plate is extremely high compared to the thicker plate. Consequently when I apply the required BC's and solve for static case I get 'OUT OF MEMORY DURING LU DECOMPOSITION'. I understand that its the problem with the making of the L and U matrices during the solving of linear equation. Also I understand that I could consider only 1/4 the geometry due to symmetry and get away with the problem.

Is there any way to get around this without going for the 1/4 geometry / symmetry?

Many thanks !

Best regards,
Ashwin Simha.

3 Replies Last Post 22 feb 2011, 06:31 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 05:05 GMT-5
Hi

with thin plates you have always the issue: are you looking into details happening in the thickness or only in the "plane". Because if you do not want to analyse in details any effect in the thickness, you should consider your "thin film" as such and mesh only the area/boundary and add the thickness in the physics. COMSOL has several pre-cooked BC's of that type depending on the physics you are studying

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi with thin plates you have always the issue: are you looking into details happening in the thickness or only in the "plane". Because if you do not want to analyse in details any effect in the thickness, you should consider your "thin film" as such and mesh only the area/boundary and add the thickness in the physics. COMSOL has several pre-cooked BC's of that type depending on the physics you are studying -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 05:32 GMT-5
Hi ,

I'm interested to look into the stresses at a particular cross-sections using slice plot. So does it mean that there is no way but to exploit the symmetry?

Best regards,
Ashwin.
Hi , I'm interested to look into the stresses at a particular cross-sections using slice plot. So does it mean that there is no way but to exploit the symmetry? Best regards, Ashwin.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 feb 2011, 06:31 GMT-5
Hi

try a structured mesh and use the "expansion/compression feature or fine mesh it.

perhaps starting in 2D could already give you some ideas (depends what you are looking for) all with full "solid" domains for your thin films.

meshing is more an "art" than science, or at least a mix, it requires quite some experience to find an optimum solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi try a structured mesh and use the "expansion/compression feature or fine mesh it. perhaps starting in 2D could already give you some ideas (depends what you are looking for) all with full "solid" domains for your thin films. meshing is more an "art" than science, or at least a mix, it requires quite some experience to find an optimum solution -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.