Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is "the direction of a boundary"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When I read the instructions about "Direction of the Normal Component on Interior Boundaries" in Users' Guide, I saw such descriptions:
In 2D:
- unx and uny for the up direction
- dnx and dny for the down direction
The upside is defined as the left side with respect to the direction of the boundary.

What is the direction of the boundary? The direction of the arrow pointing to? (we can see that there is an arrow for each boundary)

3 Replies Last Post 5 feb 2011, 02:24 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2011, 13:40 GMT-5
Hi

the direction of a boundary in 2D, its easy to see, it is the direction of the arrow showing how "s" varies from 0 to 1

but in 3D the directions are not that easy to represent on boundaries = surfaces, as there are s1 and s2 the tangeant directions, try the boundarys arrow ploting of V4 to visualise them (and the new ones in v4.1)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the direction of a boundary in 2D, its easy to see, it is the direction of the arrow showing how "s" varies from 0 to 1 but in 3D the directions are not that easy to represent on boundaries = surfaces, as there are s1 and s2 the tangeant directions, try the boundarys arrow ploting of V4 to visualise them (and the new ones in v4.1) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2011, 15:08 GMT-5

Hi

the direction of a boundary in 2D, its easy to see, it is the direction of the arrow showing how "s" varies from 0 to 1

but in 3D the directions are not that easy to represent on boundaries = surfaces, as there are s1 and s2 the tangeant directions, try the boundarys arrow ploting of V4 to visualise them (and the new ones in v4.1)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank you, Ivar!
I can see the arrow at the end of a boundary, but I don't understand "showing how 's' varies from 0 to 1", what is 's' ? where can I see it?
Thank you!
[QUOTE] Hi the direction of a boundary in 2D, its easy to see, it is the direction of the arrow showing how "s" varies from 0 to 1 but in 3D the directions are not that easy to represent on boundaries = surfaces, as there are s1 and s2 the tangeant directions, try the boundarys arrow ploting of V4 to visualise them (and the new ones in v4.1) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank you, Ivar! I can see the arrow at the end of a boundary, but I don't understand "showing how 's' varies from 0 to 1", what is 's' ? where can I see it? Thank you!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 feb 2011, 02:24 GMT-5
Hi

chek your doc ;) "s" is in fact the "ds" boundary length elementary items

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi chek your doc ;) "s" is in fact the "ds" boundary length elementary items -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.