Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boiling of water in 4.0-4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I am trying to follow the pdf-tutorial on how to make comsol boil water (www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/3972/).
My problem is that the tutorial is written for comsol 3.5, and as you know pretty much nothing is the same in the newer versions!
I think i have understood everything in the tutorial exept the chapter "Physics settings" (s 17-18) where you are suppose to modify the continuity and phase field equations to allow for phase change.

I am successful in solving the Transient Initialization step, but I cant get the Time dep. study to work.
I would be very glad if someone could help me find out how i am supposed to type in those settings!

I have tried to add a Volume Force to my lan 2-face flow and typed in: "usource-chns.divU" for x, and "-u*phix-v*phiy+source.phi" for y, but then when i run the Time dep. study it fails to evaluate variable jacobian...
If i skip the volume force it fails to find consistant initial values...

You can download the 3.5 version mph-file at the link i posted earlier.

Thanks
/Kalle

2 Replies Last Post 27 apr 2011, 10:33 GMT-4
Lechoslaw Krolikowski

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 feb 2011, 10:55 GMT-5
My proposal is as follows. Run COMSOL 4.1 (You need COMSOL Multiphysics 4.1 + CFD Module + Heat Transfer Module). Open the file boiling_water.mph from www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/3972/. When opening this file will be processed in accordance with the requirements of the Comsol 4.1 program. On the Model Builder window expand model tree. By left-clicking on the nodes you see all of the settings.
Regards
Andrzej Kolek
My proposal is as follows. Run COMSOL 4.1 (You need COMSOL Multiphysics 4.1 + CFD Module + Heat Transfer Module). Open the file boiling_water.mph from http://www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/3972/. When opening this file will be processed in accordance with the requirements of the Comsol 4.1 program. On the Model Builder window expand model tree. By left-clicking on the nodes you see all of the settings. Regards Andrzej Kolek

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 apr 2011, 10:33 GMT-4
Hi... I'm also trying to model boiling water in comsol 4.1 with great difficulty. If you manage to pull it off I would very much appreciate any assistance!

Kind Regards

Søren
Hi... I'm also trying to model boiling water in comsol 4.1 with great difficulty. If you manage to pull it off I would very much appreciate any assistance! Kind Regards Søren

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.