Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using 2D symmetry to simulate optical whispering gallery mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone,
I am using 2D symmetry to simulate whispering gallery mode. The structure is an ellipsoid, r=1.4e-5m and z=3e-5m (axial length), covered within a bigger ellipsoid. the refractive index of the innner ellipsoid is 1.7 and the outer one is 1.44. I am using eigenfrequency analyse and searching eigen frequency around 3.98e14. The boundaries are axial symmetry (the straight symmetry line of half ellipse) and PEC (the surface of ellipse) .
In theory, the light should resonance at the surface of the inner ellipsoid, and the energy should focus on the surface. However, in my simulation, the light penetrates the inner surface and goes out to the surface of outter ellipsoid. also the energy become larger around the axial symmetry line, seems light resonances between the outter surface and the symmetry line. Any one know where is wrong?Thanks!
PS: The COMSOL report is attached as PDF file

3 Replies Last Post 13 gen 2011, 01:55 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 gen 2011, 09:51 GMT-5
Hi

for me it looks like your modes are some higher order standing transverse waves modes from the ellipse, and not really running around along the edge, what I have understood a "whispering" mode is doing.

From the article a few weeks ago, it seemed that one need a notch to force these modes, and with your 1/2 symmetry I do not see the "notch".

Then it's a question of catching the right frequency as there are very many modes possible here

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me it looks like your modes are some higher order standing transverse waves modes from the ellipse, and not really running around along the edge, what I have understood a "whispering" mode is doing. From the article a few weeks ago, it seemed that one need a notch to force these modes, and with your 1/2 symmetry I do not see the "notch". Then it's a question of catching the right frequency as there are very many modes possible here -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 gen 2011, 20:56 GMT-5
Thanks for your reply, the reason I didn't using a source to force the whispering gallery mode is because the whispering gallery mode property is only depends on the structure itself but not the source. The source can excite some modes but not all the modes can be excited by a source.I want to know for a certain structure, what mode can be supported and what can not. I attached a paper published before, what I do is similar to this paper. I just do not know why in my simulation the energy is concentrate in the symmetry axial? it should concentrate on the surface of the inner ellipsoide. Thanks for your help!
Thanks for your reply, the reason I didn't using a source to force the whispering gallery mode is because the whispering gallery mode property is only depends on the structure itself but not the source. The source can excite some modes but not all the modes can be excited by a source.I want to know for a certain structure, what mode can be supported and what can not. I attached a paper published before, what I do is similar to this paper. I just do not know why in my simulation the energy is concentrate in the symmetry axial? it should concentrate on the surface of the inner ellipsoide. Thanks for your help!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 gen 2011, 01:55 GMT-5
Hi

indeed my quick simulation was really just to look for "running modes", and in 1-2hours at most.
Still in your case I believe you are seeing the "standard modes", either due to the symmetry or that you are not at the right frequency

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed my quick simulation was really just to look for "running modes", and in 1-2hours at most. Still in your case I believe you are seeing the "standard modes", either due to the symmetry or that you are not at the right frequency -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.