Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Constraint handling with multi-core processor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am using the Magnetic and Electric Fields physics package in the AC/DC Module for advanced inductor modeling.

When running the solver I noticed that COMSOL does not use all processor cores during the "Constraint handling" stage resulting in extremely long run times. Are there settings to make COMSOL use all the processor cores during this stage? I have noticed this for both COMSOL 3.5a and 4.1.

Also, does the "Assembling matrices" stage use all processor cores?

Thanks,
George

2 Replies Last Post 11 gen 2011, 17:41 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 gen 2011, 03:50 GMT-5
Hi

not all mathematical processes are parallelised, or might easily be parallelised, so its normal that the solver switches between 1 to n CPUs. At least that has been and is still like that as you have noticed for 3.5 to 4.1

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not all mathematical processes are parallelised, or might easily be parallelised, so its normal that the solver switches between 1 to n CPUs. At least that has been and is still like that as you have noticed for 3.5 to 4.1 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 gen 2011, 17:41 GMT-5
Thanks Ivar.

Just an update. I also posed the question to COMSOL Support and this is what I heard back:

"There is sometimes an issue with Constraint handling that will be fixed in
an upcoming patch to be released here:

www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol41p/

It will be released in a few weeks.

The Assembling matrices stage uses all cores."

Thanks Ivar. Just an update. I also posed the question to COMSOL Support and this is what I heard back: "There is sometimes an issue with Constraint handling that will be fixed in an upcoming patch to be released here: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol41p/ It will be released in a few weeks. The Assembling matrices stage uses all cores."

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.