Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

computer hardware

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am about to purchase a new workstation for running COMSOL with the specific intent to run 3D RF models. I've seen several posts related to computer hardware, but it's still not clear to me how to answer certain questions.

The basic specifications on the computer I have in mind are listed below:

Processors: - 4 x Eight-Core AMD Opteron™ Model 6128 - 2.0GHz 8x512KB L2 + 12MB L3 Cache (80W)
Motherboard: - Supermicro H8QGi-F - SWTX - AMD SR5690+SR5670 Chipset
RAM: - 16 x 8GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Registered
Graphics: - PNY NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 512MB GDDR3 (2xDP, 1xDVI-I)

128GB of RAM was chosen because I need much more than my current 8GB, and that seemed like a good choice on the price curve. There are enough expansion slots on the motherboard to double the RAM.

Estimating run time:

I don't really know how to estimate the amount of time it would take to solve a problem that actually used that much RAM. I think that generally the 3D RF problems use iterative solvers, though there may be some problems that require direct solvers. Apparently, the new transition boundary condition in the RF module requires a direct solver. I've been told that for an extra $1500 I can get 4x12core 1.9GHz processors. Since I don't have any idea how long a 128GB problem would take to solve, I don't know if it makes sense to increase the number of cores. If more cores would save me 20min on an hour long problem, I wouldn't bother with the extra cores. If it would save me 5 days on a 15 day problem, then it's definitely worth it!

Can anyone recommend an appropriate way to estimate the run times of large models and benefits of more cores for these problems?

Graphics card:

I also don't know if very large models require substantially more memory on the graphics card. It seems like the size of the model shouldn't impact the requirements of the graphics card too much, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a recommendation for how much memory must be on the graphics card in order to work with large models?

Thanks very much for any insight into these questions!

1 Reply Last Post 2 feb 2011, 14:17 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Steven Hurst

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2011, 14:17 GMT-5
I'm currently running COMSOL on machines at both home and work. The work computer is a pretty standard CAD workstation: Core2Duo @ 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, SATA HDD, 32-bit WinXP, and a Quadro FX3700. The home computer is a bit more powerful, and a project I've been building on the past few months: AMD Phenom II 6-core 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3, 64GB SSD for OS and programs, 32GB SSD for paging, 64-bit Win7, and an entry-level Quadro FX580(spent my graphics budget on two 28" LCDs, and only half regret it).

Obviously, models run much faster at home, and I can manage larger models. However, I have noticed a graphics lag at home that doesn't exist at work, even when I load a complicated model solved at home for viewing at work. If you're models have a lot of detail, and you want to move the model around without a lot of jerky motion, spring for a little more on the video card (FX1700, maybe?). It's not totally necessary, but it does make a difference.
I'm currently running COMSOL on machines at both home and work. The work computer is a pretty standard CAD workstation: Core2Duo @ 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, SATA HDD, 32-bit WinXP, and a Quadro FX3700. The home computer is a bit more powerful, and a project I've been building on the past few months: AMD Phenom II 6-core 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3, 64GB SSD for OS and programs, 32GB SSD for paging, 64-bit Win7, and an entry-level Quadro FX580(spent my graphics budget on two 28" LCDs, and only half regret it). Obviously, models run much faster at home, and I can manage larger models. However, I have noticed a graphics lag at home that doesn't exist at work, even when I load a complicated model solved at home for viewing at work. If you're models have a lot of detail, and you want to move the model around without a lot of jerky motion, spring for a little more on the video card (FX1700, maybe?). It's not totally necessary, but it does make a difference.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.