Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using a 1-D model to provide the boundary condition to a 2-D model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
does anyone know how to use a (two-way coupled) 1-D model to establish the boundary condition to a 2-D model that varies with location? Attached figure summarizes the essence of the problem. I want to solve asymmetric cooling of a solid block that is insulated on the outside with a multilayer radiation shield (multiple Aluminum foils with spacer between them, for example). Radiation part is essentially 1-D but its solution can depend on where on the 2-D surface it is solved.Anyone have any suggestions or can point me to some similar example models? I have both version 3.5a and 4.1
Thanks much
Ozgur

2 Replies Last Post 28 ott 2010, 23:03 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 ott 2010, 01:39 GMT-4
well answering to your title:
Yes of course...
several way to do that for example the weak boundary pde form available both in 3.5a and 4x is very handy.

having looked at your diagram I assume that the 1d model will need to know the boundary temperature as well as other physical parameters and will calculate a heatflux and this heatflux will in turn be used as the bc on your thermal conduction model for the block...

this is what comsol is all about multiphysic...

just my 2 cts
well answering to your title: Yes of course... several way to do that for example the weak boundary pde form available both in 3.5a and 4x is very handy. having looked at your diagram I assume that the 1d model will need to know the boundary temperature as well as other physical parameters and will calculate a heatflux and this heatflux will in turn be used as the bc on your thermal conduction model for the block... this is what comsol is all about multiphysic... just my 2 cts

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 ott 2010, 23:03 GMT-4
so does anyone have an example or a specific suggestion other than using weak formulation?
so does anyone have an example or a specific suggestion other than using weak formulation?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.