Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

starting a new project

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm sari from Indonesia

I'm a new member of this community. I want to star my minithesis, my minithesis topic is about mapping the electric field in high voltage insulator. I'm interested do my project in Comsol 3.5a, but I'm still confuse how to start my project, and I'm confuse to choose which Aplication modes in Comsol Multiphysics that I have to use, so I hope this community can give me some suggest to help me

Many thanks

Best Regard

Sari

4 Replies Last Post 17 apr 2011, 10:48 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 ott 2010, 02:27 GMT-4
Hi

well if its static voltage, try the AC/DC electrostatics then you should select either dielectrics (virtually no current flow, or "electric currents" if you have conductors)

if you have a varying field/current flow, the quasi statics is better, and if you have a constant frequency i.e. 50Hz use modal analysis, this makes a modal development of the equations an ou do not need to solve explicitely for each time sequence, you use only te amplitude an the frequency (that you might want to vary)

i you are at high frequencies (wavelength of the order of the dimensions of the items then you must use the RF mode.

in anycase, try out several of the documented exercices because else you will be very confused about all the settings, it takes some time to get used to COMSOL as it covers almost ALL physics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well if its static voltage, try the AC/DC electrostatics then you should select either dielectrics (virtually no current flow, or "electric currents" if you have conductors) if you have a varying field/current flow, the quasi statics is better, and if you have a constant frequency i.e. 50Hz use modal analysis, this makes a modal development of the equations an ou do not need to solve explicitely for each time sequence, you use only te amplitude an the frequency (that you might want to vary) i you are at high frequencies (wavelength of the order of the dimensions of the items then you must use the RF mode. in anycase, try out several of the documented exercices because else you will be very confused about all the settings, it takes some time to get used to COMSOL as it covers almost ALL physics -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 ott 2010, 23:13 GMT-4
Hi Mr. Ivar,

I've been looked several of model library and try it, but I'm not find yet the similar model library with my model.

did you been read the paper of Mr. Meshkatoddini from Iran?, He wrote about "Study of the electric field intensity in Bushing Integrated ZnO Surge Arrester by Means of Finite Element Analysis". He did it with Comsol, and my project so similar whit this paper, I also use Finite Elemen, but without the conductor inside it, this paper not detail, so, what do you think about the Aplication modes that Mr. Meshkatoddini used for his model?

(I found this paper in the proceedings of the comsol users conference)

Many thanks
Sari
Hi Mr. Ivar, I've been looked several of model library and try it, but I'm not find yet the similar model library with my model. did you been read the paper of Mr. Meshkatoddini from Iran?, He wrote about "Study of the electric field intensity in Bushing Integrated ZnO Surge Arrester by Means of Finite Element Analysis". He did it with Comsol, and my project so similar whit this paper, I also use Finite Elemen, but without the conductor inside it, this paper not detail, so, what do you think about the Aplication modes that Mr. Meshkatoddini used for his model? (I found this paper in the proceedings of the comsol users conference) Many thanks Sari

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 ott 2010, 00:53 GMT-4

anybody can help me found the complete paper of this journal?
anybody can help me found the complete paper of this journal?

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 apr 2011, 10:48 GMT-4
hi
(Alsalam Alaykom)
I access www.sciencedirect.com
if the article is in this site I can help you.
you can send the name of the article to my email address.
shojaei.adel[at][gmail].[com]
then I will send you full text article.
hi (Alsalam Alaykom) I access http://www.sciencedirect.com if the article is in this site I can help you. you can send the name of the article to my email address. shojaei.adel[at][gmail].[com] then I will send you full text article.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.