how to estimate the parameters in PDE/ODE equations

Topics: no topics

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   1 Reply   Last post: November 29, 2009 1:36am UTC
JUNPIN YAO

JUNPIN YAO

August 6, 2009 7:18am UTC

how to estimate the parameters in PDE/ODE equations

In my research, I have been dealing with mass transport processes in porous media. I used several coupled PDE/ODE equations to depict the physical process. The values of some critical parameters, such as diffusivities, are unknown to me. What I typically did was first assuming the values of those parameters, then using Comsol Multiphysics to solve the Equations and getting the profile of a variable with respect to time, then compare this model predicted profile with the experimental data. If these two can match, I accept the original assumptions, otherwise, I have to re-assume the values of those parameters, and repeat the above process till the model prediction well match the experimental results. We can imagine the above procedure is very tedious, time-consuming and low-efficient.

I was wondering whether this is a way to design an algorithm for auto-data fitting with Matlab to quickly figure out the values of those unknown parameters? Or please show me some of such examples if you know.

Thank you very much!

Jacky

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ehsan Sheikholeslamzadeh

Ehsan Sheikholeslamzadeh

November 29, 2009 1:36am UTC in response to JUNPIN YAO

Re: how to estimate the parameters in PDE/ODE equations

Hi there

May I know how you couple the two PDE and ODE equations together with B.Cs and I.Cs ?

Best regards

Ehsan

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Rules and guidelines